Terms of references and procedures for elections
As a Commission of the International Mathematical Union, ICMI formally depends upon the General Assembly of IMU. Thus, the Terms of Reference of ICMI are established by the General Assembly of IMU, which is also responsible for the election of the Executive Committee of the Commission.
Terms of reference of ICMI (2002)
(Adopted by the Executive Committee of the International Mathematical Union at its meeting held in Paris on April 12-13, 2002)
- The members of the International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (ICMI) consist of
The term "country" is to be understood as described in the Statutes of IMU
- those countries which are members of the International Mathematical Union (IMU), and
- other countries which are co-opted, as specified in (7) below.
- The General Assembly of the Commission consists of
The General Assembly of ICMI shall normally meet once in every 4 years, during the International Congress on Mathematical Education.
- the members of the Executive Committee, as specified in (3) below, and
- one Representative from each member country of ICMI, as specified in (5) below.
- The Executive Committee of the Commission consists of the following members. Elected by IMU: Nine members, including the four officers, namely, the President, two Vice-Presidents, and the Secretary-General. Ex-officio members: The outgoing President of ICMI, the President and the Secretary of IMU. Co-opted members: In order to provide for missing coverage or representation, the ICMI Executive Committee may co-opt up to two additional members.
- In all other respects the Commission shall make its own decisions as to its internal organization and rules of procedure.
- Appointment of the Representative to ICMI is the responsibility of the Adhering Organization of IMU, for those countries which are members of IMU, and of the Adhering Organization of ICMI, for those countries co-opted under item (7) below. Any Adhering Organization wishing to support or encourage the work of the Commission may create, or recognize, in agreement with its Committee for Mathematics in the case of a member country of IMU, a Sub-Commission for ICMI to maintain liaison with the Commission in all matters pertinent to its affairs. The Representative to ICMI, as mentioned in (2) above, should be a member of the said Sub-Commission, if created.
- The Commission shall be charged with the conduct of the activities of IMU, bearing on mathematical or scientific education and shall take the initiative in inaugurating appropriate programmes designed to further the sound development of mathematical education at all levels, and to secure public appreciation of its importance. In the pursuit of this objective, the Commission shall cooperate, to the extent it considers desirable, with effective regional groups which may be formed spontaneously, within, or outside, its own structure.
- The Commission may, with the approval of the Executive Committee of IMU, co-opt, as members of ICMI countries that are not members of IMU, on an individual basis.
- The Commission may approve the affiliation to ICMI of Study Groups, focussing on a specific field of interest and study in mathematics education consistent with the aims of the Commission. These Affiliated Study Groups are independent of ICMI, financially and otherwise, but they shall produce quadrennial reports to be presented at the General Assembly of ICMI. The Commission will cooperate, to the extent possible, with the work of the Study Groups, for example by regularly publishing information on their activities in the ICMI Bulletin.
- The budget of the Commission shall be submitted to the Executive Committee of IMU and the General Assembly of IMU, for approval, at such times as may be determined by agreement between the Commission and the Executive Committee of IMU.
- The Commission shall file an annual report of its activities with the Executive Committee of IMU, and shall file a quadrennial report at each regular meeting of the General Assembly of IMU.
- At each regular meeting of the General Assembly of ICMI, the Commission shall file a quadrennial report of its financial situation and of its activities.
Procedures for the Election of the Executive Committee of ICMI
The rules for the election of the Executive Committee of ICMI are similar to those for the election of the Executive Committee of IMU with the same Nominating Committee.
The existing Executive Committee of ICMI shall request proposals for the membership of the EC of ICMI from the Representatives to ICMI.
The EC of IMU shall request proposals for the membership of the EC of ICMI from the Committees for Mathematics, who shall consult the Representatives to ICMI for suggestions. The EC of IMU will conduct extensive consultations with the existing Executive Committee of ICMI before proposing slates to the Nominating Committee.
No person can be a candidate for more than one office.